But this time, its from observing others.
When I look around, beneath the smiles and laughter, I see sad people. I see sad people longing for love, longing for acceptance. I see little children yearning for attention. I can't say I've outgrown that phase. I don't think anyone has or ever will. Deep down inside all of us, we just want to feel loved. Maybe having consciously gone through it at some time in the past has opened my eyes to just how real this need is. I can see under all the masks that people wear. The look on their faces when no one is looking allows one to peer into the very depths of their soul. To see their aching heart. It pains me to see people like that. I always wish I could help, but I never know how. I don't know what's appropriate to say, what's appropriate to do. So usually I just sit there and look at them. When others walk away, I'm still there looking at them. Sometimes that's all they need to feel better.
I don't know why I do what I do. I just do.
I think people like that don't want sympathy. They want empathy. They don't want people to pat their heads and launch Bible verses at them from a metaphorical machine gun. They just want someone to sit down with them and be there, whether in speech or in silence, physically or emotionally.
I find it weird that people know this yet are unwilling to do it.
Weird.
I personally try my best to. I think it helps. It seems that way. But what pains me is when they start taking you for granted. But I guess this is the way life is meant to be. Your deeds will be rewarded in Heaven.
All for the approval of God, not the applause of man.
-Jont
No comments:
Post a Comment