Thursday, September 5, 2013

end of term 3

Term three has ended.

We have no more formal lessons. Friday is Teachers' Day, and after week's break will be prelims. IB is ending.

*

I ran 21k for the first time last sunday morning. There's something special about running before the sun peeks over the horizon, when the city you usually see in daylight is cold and dark and sleepy, when everything stops chugging along and just stands still, even if for a little bit. There's something special about running and running till your legs are sore and your breathing is heavy and knowing that you're not there yet but that you'll be there soon. For those two hours or so, nothing really matters except putting your left leg in front of your right, and then your right leg in front of your left. You're in the midst of sixteen thousand other people, but you're very much on your own, lost in your own world of pre-morning thoughts, dreams, and aching legs. You're free to walk, or run, or to lie down and look at the clouds. As long as you get to the end on time.

I did get to the end, and after removing the times spent clogged up at the 7km mark and queuing for the toilet, I estimate my timing to be about 2h15m. Not bad, considering I didn't prepare at all for the run. I guess my next aim will be to go below 2 hours. I'll prepare for that, I promise.

-Jont

No comments:

Post a Comment