Friday, June 15, 2012

camp and rant

Church camp was great.

Camps are always great. I haven't yet had an un-great camp. Got to know people better. Made some new friends. I want to get closer to that community. I desperately need a community to belong to. No offence to my classmates (yes I know some of you read this) but our class is just too segregated. Or we just haven't had enough time. Not that we're gonna have a lot anyway. IB is like 25% over.

It's great meeting people outside of school. Non-ACS peeps for a change. My social circle isn't really a circle. It's more like the shape of an ACS crest.

Anyway.

I'm still struggling to come to terms with equality. Or actually equity. Go read up on the difference between the two and you can interpret my post in two different ways. Some people have it all. They're tall, good looking, smart, come from well-off and happy families and all that good stuff. Then there are those who have fewer things. I know it isn't supposed to matter in the Grand Scheme Of Things, but having money for example will make life so much easier. It just isn't fair that some people have it all.

Yes, I sound like a whiny little shit. If you think that way, you probably haven't been in a position where you lack these things. You're probably from a good and at least moderately well-off family, go to a good school, have lots of friends and have a bright future.

I come from an environment where one party is wondering if there will be enough money to last the next month while the other buys ridiculously expensive things. If you've seen documentaries about or been to countries like India, you'll know what I'm talking about. You don't really see it here in Singapore. It's all tucked behind the walls of HDB flats. You're inhuman if you don't feel a sense of injustice when you see (in other countries, usually) starving beggars outside a huge mansion.

If you know me well enough you'll know I frequently whine about being tall but not taller. Again, you probably won't understand if you're not in that position. People like you (yes you reading this now) like to make remarks about my height, right? Jokingly, of course. You don't mean any harm. But everyone does that. Imagine being made fun of, even jokingly, by literally everyone you meet about the same thing. It gets to you. It's like being targeted for something that isn't you fault. You wouldn't think it's nice to make fun of people who have physical or mental disabilities. It isn't their fault. They're just like that. It isn't my fault either. I'm just like that. I would love to be tall.

So if you have anything funny to say, don't. If you can't accept me for who I am then frankly I don't want you in my life. I don't care if you're my classmate or my BB friend or my teachers or seniors or juniors. My life will go on perfectly fine without you.

So back to the point. I can't quite come to terms the inequality I see. I am aware that there's a supposedly satisfactory answer when you bring in religion, but I'm just not there yet.

Cheers.

-Jont

P.S. i would appreciate it if you would comment on my posts more often. it's terribly lonely in this little corner of the world wide web. leave a message in the little box on the right to say hi or if you have something more important or long to say then comment below. it's good to interact with my audience. thanks <3

1 comment: